Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Campus Trail

So our first field trip was on FGCU's campus trail. I was somewhat curious about the trail because I hadn't ventured too far off campus into the wildlife. Plus, I like the idea of field trips and having class unofficially outside of class. I was curious to see where our teacher would take us too. As we started walking around, I was amazed at how little I knew about FGCU after having gone here for so long. Professor Davis informed us of the many steps our school was taking in order to become more green. I wasn't aware that the school was designed, such as the roofs for instance, to maximize it's ability to help the environment and help the school run more efficiently. I also didn't know about the water sheds and the fact that we had certain areas built on campus meant to retain water long enough for it to be soaked into the soil and filter properly down to aquifers. After learning about all that, we got the chance to walk further back down the campus back to where the new dorms had been built. This was a different sight for me because I had actually not gotten the chance to see the new dorms since they've been built. I just never took the time to go out there and actually see them. Then we actually walked on the campus trail in the wildlife which was cool because I hadn't been on there either. It was interesting to see the professor describe the trees and be able to identify them out of nowhere. I was definitely not aware of the paper trees that were overpopulating the flora on campus. It apparently got to the point where they all needed to be chopped down. We went further into the forest and I was amazed at how deep it seemed. Sometimes it seemed we were walking forever there! Anyways, after the fact, I was surprised at finding construction STILL being built in the back of the forest and at the amount of space available out there still. I guess I never really thought of FGCU having this much space with all the trees and buildings close together in one part of the area it seemed. Towards then end, I was happy to find that they had this clearing with a few park benches and a hammock. It seemed to be a quiet spot to hang out. My views of campus had definitely been broadened by the field trip. Before I had felt I had seen all there was to see on campus but after the campus trail with my colloquium class, I have definitely been shown a new environment to explore. All in all, I had an enjoyable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment